The Coalition to Transform Advanced Care (C-TAC) has released a report designed to identify strategies to boost the use of advance care planning (ACP), a practice that is now more important than ever as the world faces the uncertainties of the COVID-19 pandemic. Discern Health conducted the report research, which will help to further develop C-TAC’s Advanced Care Transformation (ACT) IndexSM.
Through a literature review, an environmental scan, and a series of interviews, Discern collected evidence on factors affecting ACP and actions that can be taken on the state level to increase use. The report offers a variety of best practices to promote ACP, including:
- Recognizing racial and economic disparities in ACP and considering social determinants of health when designing programs;
- Holding provider training programs on the value of ACP and how to have meaningful conversations;
- Making ACP materials available in multiple languages to increase accessibility for patients and their families;
- Supporting state policies that help family caregivers, aligning policies with national and global efforts; and
- Developing interventions that engage people with serious illnesses before they are in crisis.
To learn more about the recommendations, download the report here.